Homework 2 - Organizing Files & Folders and Using ZIP
Due Sept 6 Mon/Wed (Sept 1: Wed/Fri).
Goals for this Assignment
I want to make sure you know how to manage files and folders. You
will need to know how to move & rename files, create folders, use email
attachments, and download files from a web site. Also, you will need to
know how to ZIP and un-ZIP compressed folders on a Windows computer.
Summary: Gather several files from different places, organize them
into folders, then put everything into one big ZIP file, then email that ZIP
file to me as an attachment.
Step 1: Gather 20 specific files from these places:
All of this should add up to 20 different files - make sure you have all
Step 2: Rename, Reorganize
- Rename some of the files with obscure names (Like Untitled1.doc or
Image-CD...). Name them something more descriptive.
- Create a new, empty folder to store all these files in
- In that folder, create two new folders, one named text and one
- Inside the text folder, create two subfolders named constitution
- Inside the pictures folder, create three subfolders named: fall
colors, city, and other
- Organize your files into these folders.
Step 3: Zip, Email
- Make one big ZIP file with all of this in it, and name it according to
you last name, like HW2_LastName
- Send that ZIP file as an attachment to Matthew Weathers on BUBBS
How to ZIP and UnZIP
to ZIP: Select the files you want to ZIP, then
right-click, choose Send To... and choose Compressed (zipped) Folder.
That will make the ZIP file for you. Next, you'll probably want to
rename that ZIP file.
to unZIP: Right-click on the ZIP file, choose Extract All,
then click Next, then Next, then Finish, and it will show
all the extracted files. You can then move them if you need to.